Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
2021 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Summer Seminar Series
In lieu of the 2021 WHOI GFD Summer Program, which would normally be held in
person at Walsh Cottage, we will be running a weekly seminar series
on Mondays 12pm EDT between June 14 and August 30. Talks will be given
by some of our recent GFD fellows.
To get access to the talks, please register by following
link. After registering you will be sent a personal zoom link and
password that will give you access to all of the talks. We recommend that
you save this link in your calendar under the talk times.
A symposium honoring Charlie Doering's contributions to the GFD program, is
being planned for August 6th. Details will be posted
here when they are
available. We will use the same Zoom site -- if you have registered
previously, do not re-register; just use the access link you were sent. If
you have not registered for the talks you may use the link above to register
for the symposium.
Click on the talk titles to read the corresponding abstract.
All talks begin at noon Eastern Daylight Time.
As done last summer, we will set up a Gathertown site in which people can
convene and chat following the talks.
- June 14: Renske Gelderloos, John Hopkins University,
Coastal Trapped Waves along the Southeast Greenland Coast
This talk will be preceded with a few words by Jean-Luc Thiffeault
in memory of
- June 21: David Goluskin, U. Victoria,
Why are we still studying heat transport in Rayleigh-Bénard
- June 28: Wanying Kang, MIT,
Ocean and ice dynamics on Enceladus
- July 5: Ton van den Bremer, TU Delft,
Why Rogue Waves occur atop Depth Transitions
- July 12: Thomasina Ball, U British Columbia,
Viscoplastic Flows with Applications to Geophysics
- July 19: Cedric Beaume, U. Leeds,
- July 26: Yana Bebieva, Florida State University,
- August 2: Daniel Lecoanet, Northwestern University,
Convection and Waves in Stellar Dynamics
- August 6: Special session 11:00-2:00 ET Symposium in honor of Charlie
Program (not available yet)
- August 9: Colin Meyer, Dartmouth College,
- August 16: Florence Marcotte, U Nice Cote d'Azur,
- August 23: Jim Thomas, UNC Chapel HIll,
Turbulent Wave-Balancce Interactions in the Ocean
- August 30: Barbara Zemskova, U Toronto,